Finally, the perfect little summer dress. I hit a few snags along the way, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. The dress is exactly what I had imagined. It's comfortable and light and perfect for the hot hot hot weather we've been having in the city.
The shape of the bodice came from the pattern used in my first dress, which had a similar design. I used only the bottom portion of the bodice pattern, stopping at the armholes and adding an inch and a half at the top for additional fabric to create a casing for the elastic needed to hold the dress in place.
|Vogue Pattern V8631|
I used Vogue Pattern V8631 to get the shape of the skirt. The pattern was perfect except for the pleats, which didn't work with the gathered concept I had in mind. To get rid of the pleats I carefully folded the pattern piece, taping the pleats down with tiny pieces of masking tape so as not to ruin the pattern. Once the pleats were folded down, the pattern piece could be used to cut out the fabric for my gathered skirt.