Shorts are not easy, but I really really wanted them so after a few tweaks here and there I finished my tweed-looking linen shorts. I used a salmon colored silk for the pocket lining and left the lining visible, which I like but I think I would make the pockets a bit smaller next time.
|American Apparel bodysuit, Rag & Bone blazer, shorts Made by Me, Christian Louboutin wedges|
Patterns for shorts - not to mention the standard sizing for shorts and pants - are generally not built to fit most women's bodies. Not sure why, seems counter-intuitive to me. If I had a little less curve going on things would work out fine and dandy, but c'est la vie. Curves present a bit of a challenge. In my test run, I made a muslin of the shorts that pulled a bit in the front. The pulling action is frequently the bane of my existence and I generally buy a size up in pants or shorts when shopping and then bring them to a tailor to take in at the waist. Since I'm the tailor here, I tweaked the pattern a bit to get rid of the pull, but now I seem to have a bit of a puff.
The silk pockets had a tendency to creep up and create even more puff in front so I created a chain with my thread to keep the pockets in place.
The chain tacks each pocket down to the inside hem and it works like a charm. Less bunchy pockets = less poof.
Posing for pictures is rough work.