Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Sewasis

Monday, August 8, 2011

Planning Makes Perfect

I’m usually an obsessive planner.  I’m a list maker; I make master to-do lists and sub-lists filled with my most important to-do tasks.  I pretty much love everything about the planning process – but I especially love the feeling of accomplishment when I can cross off one thing after another.  Occasionally, however, I get so gung-ho about a project that planning goes out the window…and of course that’s when issues inevitably ensue. 

Fresh off the success of my faux-wrap maxi dress, I decided to whip up a strapless maxi from the deep purple jersey in my fabric stash.  By all accounts – in my mind – it was easy, effortless and I’d be done in a day with a new successful finished product to show off.  I laid my fabric on my floor and began to cut until I realized I didn’t even have enough of the fabric for a full skirt, let alone a dress.   So, that bright idea will have to be laid aside for now. 

With my instant dress dreams thwarted, I turned my attention to planning my next project.  I picked up a few new fabulous fabrics from mood.  This heavy silk leopard print and white sheer cotton were unplanned impulse purchases, but I loved them both too much to pass them up.  I'm envisioning the leopard print silk as a new pair of shorts.  I've been dreaming of leopard print shorts for awhile and I love how this fabric is slightly more subtle - almost like a water color painting.  As for the sheer cotton I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with a good idea for it sooner or later.

My current project involves this beautiful red and white silk print and this white stretch cotton.  I'm almost done, but you'll have to wait and see!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Silky Summer Days

I've finished my v-neck maxi dress and I'm super happy with the results.  The fabric is an extremely light-weight sheer silk, which made it a bit difficult for me to work with.  I had to hand baste every single section before machine stitching to make sure my seams didn't slip - a time consuming process but totally worth it.

The dress is a faux-wrap with a zipper in the back.  The zipper was the biggest pain to insert because of the light-weight fabric and it took a few attempts before I eventually worked it out.  It's not perfect, but I'm still learning.

The alterations I made were a huge improvement.  I took the bodice in an inch on each side seam, changed the angle of the bodice to lower the v-neck line and reduced the size of the straps.  Now I'm off to plan my next creation!