I had a good amount of left over fabric after completing my first project. Due to my lack of pattern placement skills I was left with just two usable scraps of the fabulous lace fabric, just under a yard in total. I had already been thinking of making a semi-sheer beach cover-up, which doesn't require much fabric anyway, so it was perfect.
I didn't have a pattern that fit exactly what I was thinking of, so I traced a short tank-dress I already owned onto the fabric instead. A French curve was perfect for connecting the dots when I wasn't able to trace the dress perfectly around the arm and neck area. I knew the tank-dress fit me well so I skipped making a muslin and cut right into my remaining lace. The length is perfect for a beach cover-up, but it would be way too short to wear out in public otherwise without shorts or leggings underneath.
On the inside view you can see I used a French seam finish. The French seam was another first for me - I am a beginner - and I just love how clean it looks. I made sure to press the French seams toward the back of the dress before I finished the edges with bias tape.
Here's a little preview of how it will look on the beach. I can imagine it now, wearing it on vacation in the sun and sand, which is long long overdue. I can't wait to break it out.